Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Kaya


In Malaysia I was fortunate enough to try one of the most popular breakfast items- Kaya jam. The owner of the hostel in Kuala Lumpur was fanatical about the stuff. She swore it tasted better than it looked and that I would immediately become addicted...what a smart woman.

Kaya is a coconut jam. It is made with eggs, coconut milk and sugar and either comes in a green color or a light brown color (where the sugar is caramelized). This stuff was one of the most decadent things I've ever tasted- and won me over more than Nutella ever could. Coconut milk, I love you.




There was only one way of eating it; spread on toast with butter. I became an instant follower and ate this everyday while staying in KL. I loved it so much, Isabel gave me a jar to take with me; which I later gave to the amazing staff at Me Mates Place in Phnom Penh.

If anyone ever goes to Malaysia, I highly recommend putting this stuff on your toast in the morning- or any time of the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment